It’s all about first impressions!! So here are our top tips to selling your property at the right price.
1. Parking: If there is no off-road parking, try to ensure there’s a free space outside your property for your viewers when they arrive.
2. Kerb Appeal: Make sure the approach to the front door looks its best. Put any bins out of sight, tidy-up, cut any grass hedges or trees.
3. Paintwork: Ensure the exterior paintwork, especially around the entrance, is clean and if needed, touched-up..
4. Hallway: Its always best to keep the entrance hallway tidy as it sets the tone for the viewing, if it’s a mess it puts people in a negative frame of mind.
5. Clean & Fresh: Make sure the kitchen and bathroom are spotlessly clean and that there are no lingering cooking aromas… Unless it’s fresh bread or coffee!
6. De-clutter: Open floorspace creates spaciousness. So keep rooms as clear as possible, paying special attention to de-cluttering spare bedrooms and box rooms.
7. Be prepared for viewers to look everywhere! They will want to see inside built-in cupboards and storage spaces and to look at the boiler, heating controls etc. Make sure there is access to any loft space and outbuildings, especially if it’s a second viewing.
8. Back gardens or garage, try to make them look as tended and clear as possible. We all use the shed for storing the patio furniture, BBQ and kid’s garden toys but asking a friendly neighbour to help out with storing them for a couple of weeks is always a good move!
9. Warm, Light & Bright: If there’s one thing that makes a lasting impression, its viewing a home that is comfortable, light and bright. So make sure all rooms are pleasantly warm yet well-aired, have the curtains drawn back, blinds opened with the lights on in the evening.
10. Mats: Put mats at the front and back doors, viewers feel more comfortable if they can wipe their feet before coming into the property.
11. Pets: If you have pets, liberal doses of febreeze prior to the viewing helps eliminate any smells and move their food/litter trays out of the way. Try to arrange for pets to be out of the house when viewings are going ahead.
12. Teenagers: If you have any, try to get them to tidy up, its always worth opening their windows!
13. Lighting: If you have any dark rooms, some subtle lighting which is on before the viewing will always help
14. Air fresheners and fresh air help no end, particularly with teenager’s bedrooms.
15. Do the washing up!
These are our top tips but do remember, you can always ask our advice on any small improvements that may make a big difference in achieving the best selling price.
At the same time, we could save you money by highlighting any cosmetic outlays you might have planned, that may not necessarily influence the final selling price.